Words of Wisdom

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of angeliquehj18 angeliquehj18 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    MetroChief
    Key Master

Famous quotes, proverbs and words from sages

October 26, 2012 at 6:14 am #2325
    MetroChief
    Key Master

Struggle gives birth to ease; destitution gives birth to struggle. – Yoruba proverb
    (He who exerts himself will find ease in the end; he who avoids exertions is doomed to struggle in the end.)

October 26, 2012 at 6:22 am #2326
    MetroChief
    Key Master

Even if it is flimsy, the thread of truth never snaps; even though a lie might the girth of an ìrókò tree, it inevitably crashes. – Yoruba proverb
    (Truth will inevitably triumph over lies.)
    The habit of the goat is what the sheep pays attention to. Yoruba proverb
    (One would be wise to learn from the behaviour and plight of fools.)
    source: http://www.facebook.com/OweEdeYoruba

October 26, 2012 at 6:24 am #2327
    MetroChief
    Key Master

Lack of knowledge is darker than night. – Hausa proverb

October 26, 2012 at 6:24 am #2328
    MetroChief
    Key Master

Wisdom is one treasure, no robber can touch. – Japanese proverb

November 6, 2012 at 6:33 am #2508
    MetroChief
    Key Master

One hand cannot tie a bundle. – Basa (Liberia/Nigeria) proverb

November 6, 2012 at 6:35 am #2511
    MetroChief
    Key Master

A single bracelet does not make a clatter. Jukun (Nigeria) proverb

November 6, 2012 at 6:36 am #2512
    MetroChief
    Key Master

A canoe is paddled on both sides. – Yoruba proverb

November 6, 2012 at 6:43 am #2513
    MetroChief
    Key Master

One does not open ones mouth any wider to tell a lie than to tell the truth. – Belgian proverb

November 8, 2012 at 12:21 am #2538
    MetroChief
    Key Master

The child of an elephant will not be a dwarf. [Like father, like son] -Yoruba proverb
    What an old man sees while lying down, a young man can never see even when he climbs up in a tree. -Yoruba proverb
    Only the thing for which you have struggled will last. -Yoruba proverb

Whoever is patient with a cowrie shell will one day have thousands of them. – Hausa proverb
    A wealthy man will always have followers.
    Water may cover the footprint on the ground but it does not cover the words of the mouth. – Igbo proverb
    One who has been bitten by a snake lives in fear of worms. [Once bitten, twice shy.] – Igbo proverb
    Allah made the silk-cotton tree beautiful, so let the fig tree cease being angry. – Hausa proverb

November 18, 2012 at 7:28 pm #2799
    MetroChief
    Key Master

The heap of yams you will reap depends upon the number of mounds you have plowed.
    It is the work of one’s hands that decides what one eats for dinner – for some it is pounded yam, for others it is pounded plantain or nothing.
    Sleep and indolence are not cousins of a good harvest.

November 24, 2012 at 8:15 am #2894
    MetroChief
    Key Master

“Nigeria is what it is because its leaders are not what they should be.” – Chinua Achebe
    “The magician and the politician have much in common: they both have to draw our attention away from what they are really doing.” – Ben Okri
    “People go to Africa and confirm what they already have in their heads and so they fail to see what is there in front of them. This is what people have come to expect. It’s not viewed as a serious continent. It’s a place of strange, bizarre and illogical things, where people don’t do what common sense demands.” – Chinua Achebe

November 24, 2012 at 8:33 am #2896
    MetroChief
    Key Master

The hand that dips into the bottom of the pot will eat the biggest snail. – Wole Soyinka
    Books and all forms of writing are terror to those who wish to suppress the truth. – Wole Soyinka
    Being from Africa is the best thing that could have ever, ever happened to me. I cannot see it any other way. All of my fundamental principles that were instilled in me in my home, from my childhood, are still with me. – Hakeem Olajuwon
    All these boundaries – Africa, Asia, Malaysia, America – are set by men. But you don’t have to look at boundaries when you are looking at a man – at the character of a man. The question is: What do you stand for? Are you a follower, or are you a leader? – Hakeem Olajuwon

source: brainyquote.com

December 1, 2012 at 7:05 am #3056
    MetroChief
    Key Master

The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him. – Niccolo Machiavelli

December 4, 2012 at 12:26 pm #3110

Lilly

These are what people believe, and they are centred on some elements of truth, that are embedded in history. Overall the differences are small. To me, the most differnet are Ibos. No one really ever goes to the East (I never have) and their language is so alien to me. I grew up with Hausa sweet sellers and maiguards and there is some Hausa in my parents' language. Yorubas are known by all because they are educated and travelled and because Lagos is inbYoruba land. I am Edo and many in my family of my generation have married outside the tribe. In fact, I struggle to think of many of my cousins that married within the tribe. But despite this, most of us still live with our prejudices. I guess people have more a fear or dislike for the poor or the masses than they have for other tribes. Amongst the upper class, there is remarkably little tribalism. Perhaps it is because a lot of us come to the US and the UK and here, we realise how much more we have in common than not. As an Edo, how do people see me in my opinion? I think as a bit of a blank slate. Each tribe sees something in us. A bit exotic – becaus of the whole juju thing. A bit arrogant perhaps. Maybe a bit volatiole as well. I am pretty proud to be Edo. But I am also proud of Nigerians (not proud of Nigeria, sorry) and proud of Africa.

homeowners insurance car insurance quotes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.